Oxtail Stew Recipe 26/10/16
Award winning in house Chef Sue Stoneman has been using the Esse Fire Stone Outdoor Oven over the last few weeks, trying out a variety of different recipes – this week, a soul warming classes, Oxtail Stew, cooked low and slow for 3 hours.
- 1.5kg Oxtail
- 1 onion
- 1 stick celery
- 1 large carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml red wine
- 1.5l beef stock
- 1tbsp plain flour
- Let your outdoor oven reach approx 150C.
- In a heavy based pan Roast the Oxtail until browned.
- Take out the meat and put into a separate cooking pot.
- Roast off the vegetables (using same pan used for browning the Oxtail) and add to the meat.
- Put in the herbs and seasoning.
- Add the tablespoon of plain flour (this will help thicken the sauce, although it is quite thick without it) and stir in the red wine and beef stock.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally and topping-up with liquid if necessary.
Serve with jacket potato or some freshly baked bread and a sprinkle of fresh parsley if you have any to hand. Enjoy the lovely, tender beef.
Tips for cooking the stew in your Esse Fire Stone Outdoor Oven
- Check on the stew regularly and top up with liquid when necessary.
- Stir the stew each time you check it, to ensure an nice even cook.
Outdoor Ovens – view the full Outdoor Cooking range
<p style=”text-align: center;”><a href=”https://www.bigfire.co.uk/category/recipes/”>View all BigFire Outdoor Cooking Recipes</a></p>